Thursday, May 24, 2012

What's the Buzz?

Remember Quackle and Doodle? They have moved on, perhaps to bigger ponds, less chlorinated water and warmer temperatures. Who knows? But I think I'll see them again next year. For the time being, I'm relieved from poop scooping duties. Yeh!!!!

Alas, just when I thought I can breathe a sigh of relief……along came more unexpected visitors. This time……thousands of them. Apparently, a colony of European honey bees have taken fancy to the in-ground irrigation meter box in my backyard. Here are pictures of the massive honeycomb kingdom that had built up right underneath the meter cover. Forgive me if the pictures look a little bit shaky, as I was under risk of being stung by hundreds of angry bees when I took them.



As I was not terribly excited about sharing the backyard with a bunch of volatile guests, out came Mr. Bee Relocating Expert. He suited up, vacuumed the whole colony and the queen into a beekeeper's box and away he went, leaving me with a hefty bill! But I think it is well worth the price, knowing that the bees are being relocated to better accommodations in Santa Cruz and will be helping with this year's pumpkin crop pollination!




6 comments:

  1. Ooh my. That's ALOT of bees. Did you know... bee's like to drink water?!? No kidding. They sometimes hover near my pond and seem to be drinking the water. I wonder if they use it to make honey or it is just to quench that thirst they work up after flying all day. BTW- Is there any honey in there? If there is, can I have some? My favorite way to eat honey is to spread it on toast with a little butter. YYUUUMMMMM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried retrieving some of the honeycomb, but it was so loaded with honey that it was really soggy, plus there were tons of bees swarming on it. In short, it was too difficult to extract the honey, and the sight was not too appetizing afterall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man. I know that Donutboy LOVES honeycomb. I actually haven't tried it yet. I don't want to bite into an angry bee, so I'll just buy some from the store...

      Delete
  3. Did u eat the honeycomb afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No…..it was just swarming with bees all over it…too risky to bite into a comb with an angry bee in it.

      Delete
    2. Yes. It is never good to get a mouthful of angry bees! :D

      Delete