Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Elkhorn Slough Kayaking

On a breezy summer day, our group (Dogluver, DogluverPapa, DonutBoy and Spongy) set out for an afternoon tour of the Elkhorn Slough by kayak. Elkhorn Slough is one of California's largest protected wetlands and home to an abundance of marine animals, birds and endangered species. After a brief introduction on basic kayaking techniques and capsize maneuvers, our intrepid group hit the water in double kayaks.

Can you spot Dogluver in this picture?

DonutBoy demonstrating the latest in kayaking fashion. Notice the black kayaking apron he wore underneath his life jacket? It is actually a spray skirt with an elastic hem that snapped onto the hatch of the kayak, effectively preventing water from spraying into the vessel.

Dogluver and DogluverPapa's synchronized paddling strokes.

The water was calm. Our paddle strokes were fierce =P It did not take long before we sighted sea lions, otters, seals, egrets, loons, tiny crabs hiding in the many holes along the mudflats etc. etc.. Most frequent sightings - big orange sea nettle jellyfish! I won't be surprise if I ever fell into the water, I would die the death of being stung by a thousand jellies.



Hello!


Close encounter with a seal.




Trying to take pictures while you're bobbing up and down in a kayak turned out to be harder than I thought. I got many out of focus shots. Here are some of my better captures.





Sea lions resting on a dock.


I had an eventful day and look forward to visiting this beautiful estuary again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! I look so pro in that picture.... paddle master(not really). I should take a look at my pictures too! I think they turned out a little less than perfect and more blurry. O well. The seals were SO cute! But they did have an interesting odor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEHEHE…..The seals think they do not need to shower because they are in the water most of the time XD

      Delete