Monday, February 13, 2012

Random Cakes

To celebrate our blog's one year Anniversary, the occasion calls for….. what else….. but CAKES!!!!!

Credits go to my fellow bloggers Dogluver and PastryGirl, as well as PastrySister for decorating this Year of the Dragon Cake. PastryGirl whipped up the buttercream frosting, and I prepared the chestnut paste filling. Voila! SpongyChestnutCake reincarnated :D



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This panda cake is actually the graduation project for a cake decoration class that I recently completed with PastryGirl. It is a chocolate cake with raspberry filling inside.

Cake decoration trivia: Do you know that to achieve the jet black color for the panda's body, you need to add black food coloring to chocolate frosting instead of regular white frosting? Mixing black coloring with white frosting will result in a dull greyish color only!




Happy Anniversary and Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. I DID KNOW THAT!!! (I read too many cook magazines....)
    Yeah. I also kinda learned the hard way. (I was all like, "Hey.. why not?!?") then it turned gray and I had a sad face. BUT IT TURNED BLACKER WHEN I ADDED COCOA POWDER!!! yay. Mmmm I LOVE chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The panda cake goes with the blog design..... Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of our PANDA design!!!!!

      On the other hand…..we've got the current design since July 2011, so maybe it's about time we refresh our look?????

      Delete
    2. Ya. This new one is pretty cute too!! :)

      Delete